Thursday, September 04, 2008

IT'S FINALLY SET IN.

I'm in England! For three months and fifteen days.. (mom--we have some things to discuss, like me staying here an extra few days to kidnap Robert Pattinson from the Twilight premiere that they decided to plan for THREE days after I planned to leave).

I finally realized this when I came out of the Westminster tube stop and saw this:

Ah, definitely my favorite place in London. 
(I know I said this about Tower Bridge, too, but I take that back. That's my second favorite)

I've had this fascination with Big Ben since I had to make a little pamphlet about it in elementary school. I was so happy that I got to use the word "atop." Haha. I thought I was smart.

Anyway, today I started the day by going to the British Library for the first time. I did not want to leave.

The British Library:
(sorry for the horrible pictures.. I'm so afraid to take pictures because I am paranoid about looking like a complete tourist.. I already have enough trouble with all the stupid escalators they have around.)


Here's what I saw there:

--The Ramayana: Love and Valour in India's Great Epic (a special exhibit, very interesting)
--SO MANY sacred texts, like the Gutenberg Bible and various sacred texts from religions around the world
--one out of four copies of the original Magna Carta
--Jane Austen's "History of England"
--Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures Under Ground" 
--Charlotte Brontë's "Jane Eyre"
--One of the first "Complete Works of Shakespeare" printed after his death
--Shakespeare's "First Folio"
--Mozart's Thematic Catalogue
--Handel's Messiah, autograph composition draft
--Beethoven's sketches for the 'Pastoral' Symphony (no. 6 in F Major, op.68)
--Bach's "The Well-tempered Clavier," Book II, Fugue in A Flat major
--Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" from A Midsummer Night's Dream

and then there was this little corner dedicated to The Beatles.. and it was amazing.

I saw:

--"Ticket to Ride" lyrics.. when they were first written down!!
--"The Fool on the Hill" lyrics.. handwritten (same..)
--"Yesterday" lyrics.. handwritten (same..)
--"Help!" lyrics.. handwritten (same..)
--A birthday card to Julian Lennon that John used to write down the lyrics for "A Hard Day's Night"!!!
--"Strawberry Fields Forever" lyrics.. when they were first written :)
--"I wanna hold your hand" lyrics.. handwritten
--"Michelle" lyrics.. handwritten
--A Beatles book from 1963
--45 single of A Hard Day's Night
--Beatles' 1963 Christmas record (and I got to hear it.. IT'S SO CUTE!!)
--Fan club membership card

Unfortunately, I could not take pictures of all of this stuff, and I know that it sounds so silly of me to be excited about seeing all of this, but .. it was just so crazy to see the journal that Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson, really) used to write down Alice's adventures in first.. and to see Beethoven's crazy crazy handwriting and music.. and then to see all of those Beatles' lyrics as they were when the boys were first putting their thoughts to paper.. it was just all SO amazing.

Then I went to the British Museum:


But at that time, I only had an hour left and I decided that I did not want to be disappointed when I had to leave in the middle of an exhibit, so I saw the Rosetta Stone and left.. 


Well, that's not really true, because I just realized today (that I have a power) that no matter where I am, including a museum, a shop/store--somewhere I can spend my money--will find me, so I spent some time in the museum's three little shops.

Then I went to see Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye, the Thames, etc., from Westminster Pier

Every time I see Big Ben, I am amazed at how enormous it really is.. EVERY TIME!!

Then I went to Oxford Circus to do some shopping! 

I did not buy anything.. this time.

Oxford Circus is definitely my favorite place to shop :) There are so many amazing shops.. and I love that bows here are sold everywhere. Oh, and colorful tights, too. I don't feel like such a freak anymore, haha.

Now I'm just all packed up and ready to go to Oxford tomorrow and stay in a hostel for the first time in my life. 

This should be fun! :)

Oxford, here I come! You better watch out! 

1 comment:

Jerry Mo said...

I love all the pictures Jaye!

I hope you have so much fun - see you in December.

:) MJ (: